Melissa Bann – Specialist Counsellor
KEY Counselling Services
Melissa has had extensive experience in counselling and providing therapeutic support to clients of all ages and backgrounds.
Melissa’s main specialities are person-centred counselling, cognitive behaviour therapy, trauma counselling, psychodynamic approach and mindfulness. She is also a qualified sand play and symbol work therapist. Melissa uses art as a therapeutic and expressive tool and is working towards gaining qualifications in art therapy. Melissa uses play as a therapeutic tool to work with children. She also offers Christian counselling to those that prefer counselling in a faith-based context.
Melissa worked previously for indigenous organisations both in Cairns and in her home state of Victoria as a Case Manager and Therapeutic Practitioner providing counselling and therapeutic support for children in out of home care and youth ‘at risk’ of having adverse contact with the criminal justice system. She was also previously employed as a School Counsellor.
Melissa also worked with Kinship carers empowering carers to support indigenous children who have experienced trauma, challenging behaviours and have attachment disorders.
Further to this, Melissa worked for a local counselling service as a Specialist Counsellor providing counselling and capacity building support to children, youth and adults which included NDIS and Child Safety clients.
- Bachelor of Counselling
- Diploma in Leadership
- Diploma in Community Services (Case Management)
- Certificate IV in Mental Health
- Certificate IV in Youth Work
- Main Trainer in Aggression Replacement Training
- Certificate in Sand Play Therapy & Symbol Work with Children, Adolescents & Adults
- Certificate in Healing Trauma with Guided Drawing
- Certificate in Initiatic Art Therapy
- Certificate IV in Training and Assessment